El Camino College
University of California Berkeley, California State University Northridge, University of California Los Angeles
Lack of tools available to assess a business’s readiness to adopt SM technologies and availability of corresponding education and training programs across the country.
The goal of this project is to develop a SM workforce model that leverages existing education and workforce training systems to develop the workforce needed for SM.
- Accelerate the implementation of critical data modeling for machine learning and data-centric analytics into Smart Manufacturing (SM) technologies for aerospace. The project will implement these innovations using data from working Aerospace manufacturing facilities.
- Determine SM core competencies for operators, technicians, engineers and managers (M3)
- Create a national inventory of existing SM workforce and education programs from across the country (M6)
- Conduct a gap analysis of SM core competencies required by industry and existing SM educational and training programs (M8)
- Develop training modules and a certificate program model focused on the incumbent workforce (M9)
- Develop an SM awareness campaign for businesses (M15)
- Develop SM Career Path with an 18-unit SM post bachelor certificate program with modular classes for K-12, community colleges (M18)
- Develop models, test-bed, software and graduate courses for chemical engineering pathway (M18)
- Develop SM modular classes for K-12, CC and University (M21)
- Integrate SM courses into career pathways (M24)
- Once the curriculum is available, the number of SM educated and trained workers will increase and companies will be more likely to adopt SM technologies
- An educational program throughout California that can be replicated at no-or-low cost across the country.
- A bridge to spread information between K-12 districts, community colleges, and 4-year universities –systems that are already well funded
BENEFIT TO CESMII:
- Creation of tools needed for adoption of SM curriculum at all levels of education and training
- A modular and customizable system so where any curriculum, training component, or business development tools can be easily adopted and customized by organizations nationwide
- User-friendly software allowing engineers to use without extensive control systems knowledge
PROJECT COST SHARE AND DURATION:
Project Duration: 24 months, CESMII Cost Share: 39%, Member Cost Share: 61%