Augmented Reality Platform for Smart Manufacturing of Wind Turbines
Project Lead: Spiral Science and Technology Inc.
Partners: LM Wind Power, GE Renewable Energy
Member % Cost Share: 50%
CESMII % Cost Share: 50%
Duration: 10 Months
Complex paper-based work instructions and inefficient quality control process in manufacturing of the wind turbines.
Develop reusable SM Profile for the composite 62.2m blade (on-shore windmill) and an Augmented Reality (AR) platform for serving the visual work instructions capturing the insights from the SMIP as well as surface defects prediction model.
Develop AR system including interface and back end. Create SM Profile and set-up the real-time data exchange. Collect quality data and build data model for automated defect prediction. Validate and scale the system.
Key Tasks & Milestones
- Develop platform interface and validate AR display/capture mechanism
- Develop platform back end; integrate with ERP system
- Set up SM Profile and implement the system in SMIP
- Develop data model for advanced surface analysis
- Conduct field trials and perform impact assessment
- Faster achievement of the climate goals
- Extra $40m in revenue for a single manufacturer
- 9,088,500 kg of CO2-e reduced per one headset installed
- 1,615,481 MMT CO2-e reduction per year assuming optimistic adoption
Modules for provision of AR-based work instructions and quality control will become available to other members on CESMII’s SMIP. AR case study for other industries.