Apogean Legacy Machine Connectivity
Project Lead: Toward Zero
Partners: Raytheon Technologies
Member % Cost Share: 50%
CESMII % Cost Share: 50%
Duration: 6 Months
Legacy CNC machines are expensive and time consuming to connect to Industry 4.0 systems.
Create a forward compatible hardware device that allows quick wiring to existing sensors, devices and serial communication ports, and communicates via modern OPC UA and/or MTConnect protocols to Industry 4.0 systems.
The hardware device will be designed to use existing signals on the machine, while also allowing future upgrades to the software doing the protocol conversion to ensure compatibility with Industry 4.0 systems.
Key Tasks & Milestones
- Milestone 1: Apogean Functional Requirements
- Milestone 2: Apogean Detailed Design
- Milestone 3: Apogean Build
- Milestone 4: Apogean Bench Test
- Milestone 5: Machine Data Requirements
- Milestone 6: Machine Data Detailed Design
- Milestone 7: Machine Wiring and Test
Ability to supply data from hundreds of thousands of legacy CNC machines.
Faster and less expensive option for legacy CNC owners to leverage the CESMII platform. Connecting legacy CNC machines can cost from $10K to $15K. Apogean should reduce those costs by more than 50%.