SMART MANUFACTURING FOR CHEMICAL PROCESSING: ENERGY EFFICIENT OPERATION OF AIR SEPARATION UNIT
Texas A&M Engineering Experiment Station (TEES)
Praxair, Process Systems Enterprise, AspenTech, OSISoft, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, University of Texas Austin
An Air Separation Unit (ASU) is a complex and energy intensive process for chemical industries. Sub-optimal performance of these processes result in a loss of energy efficiency. For Praxair in the US, each 1% in operating efficiency is worth about $10 M/yr.
The goal of this project is to develop a number of SM Platform™ ready tools and deploy them on Praxair’s commercial Air Separation Unit for improving energy efficiency.
- Create data acquisition tools, asset templates and predictive tools for the air separation units and demonstrate their application in an integrated environment.
- Develop data model templates for the air separation unit for data acquisition and modeling & control environments (M6)
- Implement a coupled on-premise & cloud historian system to collect plant data for analysis in the cloud (M6)
- Develop steady state, dynamic, control oriented, planning and scheduling models for ASU (M9)
- Develop data models for individual assets for integration into a Remote Asset Management workflow (M12)
- Develop analysis tools for the efficient monitoring and operation of the Air Separation Unit (M15)
- Validate analysis tools through field testing on an air separation unit at Praxair (M24)
- Increase in operating efficiencies of Air Separation Units estimated at $10M/yr. for one large manufacturer, with potentially similar impact to other manufacturers with similar ASUs Contributes to CESMII’s energy reduction and energy productivity goals
BENEFIT TO CESMII:
- Data templates, models, analytics tools available to other members with similar processes through the SM Platform™
- Contribution to the SM Platform™ core technologies (data acquisition, contextualization and apps)
PROJECT COST SHARE AND DURATION:
Project Duration: 24 months, CESMII Cost Share: 58%, Member Cost Share: 42%
Our ecosystem is inclusive by design,and everyone has a role to play.
Come find yours!
JOIN US >
Headquarters: Los Angeles, California
(888) 720-8096 | email@example.com
© 2019 CESMII - The Smart Manufacturing Institute, A Program in UCLA