PROJECT GOAL: The primary objective of this project is to develop CESMII profiles for Computer Numerical Control (CNC) machine tools. The profiles are intended to collect/ingest and contextualize operational data from legacy and current CNC machine tools.
TECHNICAL APPROACH: The project will be led and coordinated by the Design Lab at Rensselaer. Multidisciplinary student Capstone project team(s) will design and develop a profile for the Smart Manufacturing Platform Profiles in a two-semester effort. A project plan and list of deliverables will be created by the teams at the outset of each semester. The MILL will provide the technical resources, equipment, and approach to support this project.
KEY TASKS AND MILESTONES:
- Develop methodology for smart manufacturing profile development for legacy and computer numerical-controlled manufacturing and machine tool systems
- Educate future engineers with design and manufacturing skills that can be immediately applied in manufacturing industries
- Enhance Rensselaer capabilities to aid industry partners (SMM’s) with application development and deployment of smart manufacturing technologies and the SM Platform™
- Further develop concept for the Smart Manufacturing Resource Center at Rensselaer including demonstration and application development center for Smart Manufacturing
- Demonstrate how SMM’s can deploy SM technologies in a production environment typical of that found in thousands of manufacturing facilities across the country.
- Demonstrate how machine profiles can be more readily developed and imported into the CESMII platform for the broader use of the manufacturing community.
BENEFITS: This project will directly address CESMII’s goal of “showcasing, demonstrating and validating the use of SM technologies” specifically targeted at the SMM sector in ways that will increase adoption and improve their productivity, competitiveness and energy efficiency. This will enable CESMII to more quickly scale its engagement of the SMM community.
|Member % Cost Share||CESMII % Cost Share||Duration|